Tomball Electrician & Electrical Contractor Specialist
We are your Electrician for Tomball, TX Call us today! 936-788-2084
Don’t panic if your Tomball home has aluminum wiring. Aluminum wiring, when properly installed, can be just as safe as copper. Most Tomball area residential aluminum wiring is, however, very unforgiving of improper installation. This means your home’s aluminum wiring could be faulty or damaged and could even cause wiring issues or safety hazards.
People usually encounter aluminum wiring when they move into a Tomball house that was built during the 1970’s. If your home has aluminum wiring, you should hire a licensed Tomball electrician like Covenant Electrical Services to check the following things:
- Fixtures (outlets and switches) directly attached to aluminum wiring should be rated for its specified usage. The device will be stamped with “Al/Cu” or “CO/ALR.” The latter supersedes the former, but both are safe. These fixtures are somewhat more expensive than the ordinary ones.
- Wires should be properly connected (at least 3/4 way around the screw in a clockwise direction). Connections should be tight. While repeated tightening of the screws can make the problem worse, during the inspection it would pay off to snug up each connection. Note that aluminum wiring is still often used for the main service entrance cable. It should be inspected.
- “Push-in” terminals are an extreme hazard with aluminum wire. Any connections using push-in terminals should be redone with the proper screw connections immediately.
- There should be no signs of overheating: darkened connections, melted insulation, or “baked” fixtures. Any such damage should be repaired immediately.
- Connections between aluminum and copper wire need to be handled by a specialist. The NEC requires that the wire be connected together using special crimp devices, with an antioxidant grease. The tools and materials for the latter are quite expensive; it’s not practical to do it yourself unless you can rent the tool. However, regulations are changing rapidly in this area, so discuss any work with an inspector if you’re going to do more than one or two connections.
- Any non-rated receptacle can be connected to aluminum wiring by means of a short copper “pigtail”. See above.
During the 1970s, aluminum wiring became quite popular and was extensively used instead of copper wiring. Since that time, aluminum wiring has been implicated in a number of house fires, and most jurisdictions no longer permit it in new electrical wiring installations.
Tomball Electrical Outlet Repairs
It’s not something you give much thought to, most people never consider replacing their power outlets or light switches unless it’s for redecorating purposes. But sometimes there is a real need to do this, especially if they are worn out and becoming an electrical fire hazard. Worn out receptacles can be annoying if they quit working sporadically.
The wiring electrical outlet of a home can be extremely dangerous if not done properly. At Covenant Electrical, our Tomball outlet repair electricians are qualified to make proper repairs to your outlets and wiring and are able to safely install new light fixtures or electrical outlets. Not hiring an experienced electrician could result in damage to your wiring or a devastating fire, and this goes for even the seemingly simple procedures such as installing a new electrical outlet.
Our Tomball area low voltage lighting experts offer a variety of low voltage lighting solutions for your energy efficiency needs. Low voltage lighting can be both appealing and practical while providing safety around your Tomball area home. Low voltage lighting refers to the amount of electricity supply being used and the safety considerations involved with such electrical components. Low voltage lighting offers homeowners a more energy efficient lighting solution that will save them money on their electrical bills.
Many low voltage lighting options include recessed lights, track lighting and chandeliers. At Covenant Electrical Servicesa, we will provide solutions and ideas on incorporating low volt lights into your home’s interior and exterior lighting design. Some home owners may think that store-bought low voltage lighting kits are appealing due to their low price; however, hiring a Tomball electrician is the best option for professional installation and quality low voltage lighting products.
Zip Codes We Provide Electrical Repair In Tomball
77354, 77362, 77375, 77377
What Tomball Homeowners Are Saying About Us
Covenant Electrical Services is rated 4 /5 based on these 1 happy customer reviews
Good quick attention
If you are looking for a Tomball Electrician then please call 936-788-2084 or complete our online request form.